These traditional marriage rituals have been practiced by Indians since ages and are still an important part of life. Youngsters mostly oppose these and tend not to follow them. But one should know that each of the rituals carry some meaning. Here, in this write-up we will offer you some important information regarding the Sindhi marriage rituals.
Sindhis and their marriages : Sindhi is one of the Hindu castes that belong to the Sapt Sindu region. Sindhi people do not follow the Hindu rituals stringently rather their marriages are Vedic based. Sufism & Hinduism together constitute the Sindhi wedding rituals. Like any other marriage, Sindhi marriages are equally grand and are celebrated with full pomp and show.
Certain facts regarding Sindhi marriages :
- Mehraj : The priest who is responsible for matchmaking. He is the one who performs Guryanni and carries the horoscopes of the prospective brides and grooms within the community.
- Marriage day: Sindhi marriages are mostly solemnized on the auspicious days like new moon day, Satyanarayan Chandsi, etc.
- Wedding rituals : Sindhi weddings, like all Hindu weddings are divided into various ceremonies : Pre-wedding - Janya, Kachchi Misri, Pakki Misri, Berana satsang, Mehendi, Santh, Saagri tradition and Ghari Puja. All these are celebrated in full vigor by the relatives of both the bride and the groom. Songs are sung and dances are performed by the members of the family in order to exhibit their happiness.
- Wedding - Thread Ceremony, Swagatam Custom, Hathialo tradition and then the Kanya Daan. These are the most important ceremonies as they connect the two individuals as well as their families in a strong bond.
- Post-wedding - Vidai, Datar, Chanar/Dev Uthana and Sataurah. These ceremonies are the most sentimental ones and mark the end of all the celebration as well as a new beginning for the couple.
All these ceremonies translate some or the other emotion and bind the girl and boy into bonds of strength, love, trust and responsibility. Strictly abiding by these rituals, the couple ties the knot and begins a blissful married life. Sindhi community believes in all the traditions as they understand their importance. So, by now, you must have understood how important is to know about your culture in order to follow and respect its values and rituals.